Thursday, February 11, 2010

Coffee قهوة


Coffee. Being in the US, I realise that some people here cant survive without it. I've never been one of those people, actually I hate the taste of most types of coffee but love the aroma when its roasted. If I have to get coffee, its usually an extra extra hot, vanilla latte - its gotta be that hot.

In the Arab Gulf, coffee is sort of like beer in the US or chai in India or China. We greet visitors with Arabic coffee and fresh Dates. Our coffee is kinda different, theres alot of cardamon and saffron and that gives it a golden colour - its very strong. There is a code or etiquette when it comes to serving it, usually the bedoiuns are much more strict on this - the coffee cups are really small and the coffee is served from a 'Dallah - دلة'

When pouring the coffee you gotta have the Dallah in your left hand and the coffee cup in your right, so that when you serve it to the guest, he recieves it from your right hand. The amount you pour is really important too, if you fill it - its considered rude and gives the message that you want that person to stop drinking more, so always about half the cup is enough
....

So why am I writing a whole entry about coffee? I think I had too much of it today and still awake after 28 hours .. Yeah, I had an exam and I have a really bad habit of studying the night before. Anyway should go to bed early tonight, football at 8:30 AM!


No comments:

Post a Comment